• 8th September 2015 - By greg

    Holy Flying Stabilizer Batman!

    I finally succeeded in getting a foil to controllably lift one stabilizer out of the water and ‘fly’ it a couple of inches above the water without either of the stabilizer floats touching the water surface with a new high-lift foil. The foil was mounted to my control arm, and I found it pretty easy to use the control arm to make minor adjustments to the angle of attack to fly at a consistent height above the water surface.


    I know I can easily exchange the manual control lever for a float skimming the water to make that AoA adjustment automatic, but I don’t think there is really any point. The drag from that high-lift foil is way higher than the drag from the stabilizer float skimming through the water. Even if I were to swap out my heavy but aerodynamically efficient stabilizers for some super-light weight foam blobs, the weight savings plus float drag savings still don’t justify using the foil.

    Essentially, this is a very small experiment that shows how flying the entire boat with a very large hydrofoil just doesn’t make sense. If I am unable to achieve better efficiency with a very small foil lifting up only 10 pounds of stabilizer, then it is highly doubtful I will be able to lift the weight of the entire boat + me with a much larger foil.

    To make the new foil, I used a section of old chromoly aero bike tubing and cut it in half length-wise. Then I filled the inside with micro / epoxy, and sanded flat. I ground the leading edge round, and the trailing edge sharp, then welded a strut onto it. I was pretty happy with the aero profile.

  • Comments are closed.


Ad